Popular Posts

Friday, May 4, 2012

A Vacation to Remember

Authors Note: This story will be about my spring break adventure, and the bump in the road that took place.

Waking up to bright lights shining in my eyes and screaming lets go, let’s go at 3 o’clock in the morning, is always the way I want to start my day. I was leaving for Punta Cana with the Fountaine family own for the first time, to say the least I was a little scared. My friend Kayla invited me along on her family vacation for a week. I had only met her family a few times before, and I would be with them for a whole week. On this trip I didn’t know what to expect, but I sure didn’t expect to end up in a Punta Cana hospital.

Getting 6 people up and in a car is not an easy task. There’s always the person that has to go to the bathroom, or remembers something right when you are ready to leave. This was defiantly the Fountaine’s situation. When we get to the airport we go through customs, which is pretty much saying, “We allow you to leave the United States.” After waiting in long lines and security, we are finally at our gate. I txt my parents my last goodbyes before I get on the plane, and wish they were with me. I struggle to walk up the ramp to my plane. When I take my seat I take a deep breath, and told myself, “It’s just a plane; you’re not going to die.”

Longest 4 and 30 minutes of my life! I was in such a rush to get off that death machine. When I stepped off of the plane I felt so relieved to see that we were on land. It was so warm and humid I could feel myself getting light headed. My friend Kayla and I went on the tram that was going to take us to our baggage and the rest of the family followed. We wait in endless lines to get out of the airport and to our hotel. Finally we are put on a bus and I get a sense of relief.

Wow, you never know how good you have it until you look at people that live with close to anything. I see stray skinny dogs everywhere, and people that are: under age driving, no stop signs, no speed limits, you can sit on top of cars, in Punta Cana its every man for themselves.

After roughly 45 minutes of feeling like I'm going to die on this bus, I reached the destination my resort! Oh my goodness, it was breathtaking! Just absolutely stunning it looked just like it did on the hotel website. It was so huge and extravagant, it was very wild life, like nothing id seen before.

While Kayla’s mom was checking in to see if our rooms were ready, I was on my phone trying to call my parents, I should have suspected no service. After I finished having my little spasm, Kayla told me the hotel had wifi and I was relieved.

Later we got on a golf cart with our luggage and they drove us to our room. Our room was literally like a condo including: mini living room, a huge bathroom with a stand up shower, a king size bed, and a view of palm trees out the window, this is paradise.
First thing me and Kayla do is take out or swimsuits grab some sun screen and head to the beach. We go swimming in the pool for what seems like hours doing handstands and getting disturbed by foreign men in Speedos, disgusting. We laugh about dumb things until it gets too cold to be in the water. It was a long night and it as time to tuck into bed.
Waking up too sunshine and palm trees is a great way to start off my day. We leave to go Dun Buggying at 10 and it is 8 now. Kayla and I walk up to the breakfast buffet and immediately my eyes are set on the churros. We both scarf down like we were wild apes.

When we get back into our room we have to change into the worst clothes we got brought on vacation and head out to the lobby, to wait for the bus. It doesn’t take long for a prison looking bus to appear, I thought I'm dead for sure. We get on the bus were it smells like sewage and its extremely humid.

This place was disgusting, the place was filthy. Fabulous it started raining, this will get messy. They explain to use the rules and how the dune buggies work and give us a helmet, and then we all got buckled in. We start of on the tour and rain is pelting in my face, and everybody is driving so fast and I get scared. There is huge pot holes everywhere filled with dirty water. We go through every pot hole and I’m so scared, we finally approached this turn about which I had troubles with, and boom! I hit the tour guide ahead of me. My face gets redder than an apple and I apologize and keep going. Finally we reach a spot where we take a break, and can switch riders. The photographer takes a picture of all of us, and we continue on our tour. Kayla is driving and I could not be more scared, we fall behind so she catches up going over many potholes in the process. WE are finally going at a steady paste when suddenly something gets caught up in our steering wheel and puts us straight into a palm tree! I was so shocked and so happy I was ok, and then I look over at Kayla and she has a huge gash under her knee, I almost puked. She didn’t see it right away but the tour guide right away took her out of the dune buggy and put him on his 4 wheeler, she saw the gash and started crying and screaming. The tour guide got Kaylas parents right away and started curing for the deep cut right away they put alcohol on it right away and started bandaging it, she was losing so much blood. I had a tiny scrape on my knee, and the didn’t want it to get infected so they put some rubbing alcohol on it. I held her hand and refused to let go until her parents got here. They were speeding around like crazy getting to her and when they finally got here they almost got a heart attack. I was in shock but Kayla needed stitches, she needed to get to a hospital.

I went in a dune buggy with Kayla’s dad and Kayla’s mom drove back by herself. One of the men took Kayla back on a 4 wheeler going extremely slow, so the cut doesn’t get bigger. We get into a taxi right away and get her to a hospital. The icing on the cake is that we were soaked in mud and I had to go to the bathroom. I try to keep Kayla calm by telling her about funny things and keeping her happy. The taxi man takes us to the hotel hospital.

We get there and it is a single room with two doctors. They see Kayla’s cut right away and say it is too big to treat. They put some disinfecting liquid in her knee and she screams so loud. They do the same to me and it didn’t feel too good. They get as golf cart for Kayla and we wait for a new taxi to take us to a private hospital. We get to the hospital and they put her in a wheelchair and in a private room. A Doctor saw Kaylas leg and said she ruptured a tendon, which is the muscle that moves your leg back and forth and that they needed to operate right away. Kayla’s mom signed some papers and they got her into surgery right away. I was so scared for her I refused to fall asleep even though it was 1 o’clock in the morning; I wanted to see that she was ok. My Spanish came in handy while I was in the hospital; there were very few people that speak English. I had to use the hospitals phone to call Kayla’s dad and brother to inform them about the news.

After 2 hours of sitting on wooden chairs, Kayla came out of surgery, they told us she had many stitches inside and outside of her leg, and they repaired her tendon. They put us in a room with 1 other bed other than the one Kayla is in and a chair. I said, “How are you doing buddy,” she replies with, “Really good, I had a dream about cows jumping on tractors.” I laughed because she was all drugged up and didn’t know what she was saying. Then we both were so tired we fell asleep.

The next day Kayla’s mother talked to the travel agent who paid for the whole hospital bill. Kayla’s mom had to sign more papers and Kayla got some crutches and they rolled her out to a taxi to take us back to our hotel. I felt relief go through my body, than we got to the hotel.

After the drive from the hospital Kayla had to sit in the lobby because she was not allowed to swim, go to the beach, or be out in the sun too long. Kayla made that lobby her new home day after day she sat on her phone and occasionally sat far from the pool were she could get some sun. I brought her breakfast lunch and dinner, everyday and sat with her in the lobby, I never left her side. I always say, “She would’ve done the same for me,” although I didn’t exactly get the vacation I thought I would I gained an amazing friendship and an adventure of a life time.

No comments:

Post a Comment